Munnar is a picturesque hill station in Kerala, India, known for its lush green landscapes, tea plantations, and natural beauty. There are several must-visit places in and around Munnar that will leave you awe-struck. Here are some of the top attractions:
- Eravikulam National Park: This park is famous for being the home of the endangered Nilgiri Tahr, a rare mountain goat species. The park’s rolling hills, lush greenery, and panoramic views make it a perfect spot for nature enthusiasts.
- Mattupetty Dam and Lake: Mattupetty Dam offers stunning views of the surrounding mountains and valleys. The tranquil Mattupetty Lake, created by the dam, is ideal for boating and enjoying the peaceful ambiance.
- Top Station: Located around 32 kilometers (20 miles) from Munnar, Top Station provides breathtaking views of the Western Ghats and the Tamil Nadu plains. It’s one of the highest points in Munnar and is especially beautiful during sunrise and sunset.
- Tea Gardens: Munnar is renowned for its tea plantations, and a visit to the lush tea gardens is a must. You can take a guided tour of a tea factory to see how tea is processed and also taste some freshly brewed tea.
- Echo Point: As the name suggests, Echo Point is known for its unique echo phenomenon. Shout out loud, and the surrounding hills will echo your voice. The beautiful lake and mist-covered mountains add to the charm.
- Kundala Lake: This serene lake is surrounded by green valleys and picturesque landscapes. You can enjoy boating here and take in the natural beauty of the region.
- Attukal Waterfalls: Located on the way to Pallivasal, Attukal Waterfalls is a must-visit for its cascading beauty and lush surroundings. It’s a popular spot for trekking as well.
- Pothamedu Viewpoint: Offering panoramic views of the tea, coffee, and cardamom plantations, Pothamedu Viewpoint is a great place to catch the sunrise or sunset and soak in the mesmerizing vistas.
- Chinnar Wildlife Sanctuary: Though a bit farther from Munnar, the Chinnar Wildlife Sanctuary is worth a visit for nature lovers. It’s home to a variety of flora and fauna, including the grizzled giant squirrel and the endangered star tortoise.
- Blossom International Park: This park is an excellent spot for leisurely walks amidst beautiful gardens, flower beds, and scenic surroundings. It also hosts the annual Munnar Flower Show.
These are just a few of the many wonderful places you can explore in Munnar. The town itself is a charming destination with its pleasant climate and stunning landscapes, making it a perfect getaway for nature enthusiasts and anyone looking for a serene retreat.