Chasing the monsoon in Kerala can be an incredible experience, as the state receives heavy rainfall during the monsoon season, which typically lasts from June to September. Here are some ways to make the most of your monsoon experience in Kerala:
- Witness the First Rain: Head to Kerala at the onset of the monsoon season to witness the first raindrops falling on the parched earth. It’s a magical moment as the landscape comes alive with fresh greenery and the scent of wet soil fills the air.
- Explore Waterfalls: The monsoon season rejuvenates Kerala’s waterfalls, and they cascade down with great force. Some popular waterfalls to visit during this time include Athirapally Falls, Vazhachal Falls, and Meenmutty Falls.
- Backwater Cruises: While the monsoon brings rain, it also has its own charm while cruising through the backwaters. The lush green surroundings and the sight of raindrops on the water can create a unique and tranquil experience.
- Stay in a Traditional Houseboat: Opt for a stay in a traditional Kerala houseboat during the monsoon. It might rain heavily at times, but you can enjoy the comfort of your boat while watching the rain-soaked landscapes pass by.
- Munnar in Monsoon: As mentioned earlier, Munnar is already a beautiful hill station, and during the monsoon, it becomes even more enchanting. The misty hills covered with tea plantations and the occasional drizzle create a romantic ambiance.
- Ayurvedic Rejuvenation: Indulge in Ayurvedic treatments during the monsoon, as the moist weather is believed to enhance the effectiveness of Ayurvedic therapies and rejuvenation treatments.
- Enjoy Local Delicacies: Relish the local Kerala cuisine during the monsoon. The hot and spicy dishes like fish curry, appam, and other traditional delights can be a treat during rainy days.
- Attend Festivals: Some festivals take place during the monsoon season in Kerala, such as the Nehru Trophy Boat Race held in Alleppey. It’s a thrilling event where you can witness the excitement of snake boat races.
- Capture the Greenery: If you are a photographer, the monsoon season in Kerala offers stunning landscapes to capture. The vibrant shades of green and dramatic skies can result in some beautiful shots.
Remember that while the monsoon can be a magical time to visit Kerala, there might be occasional heavy rainfall and disruptions in transportation. Be prepared with rain gear and plan your activities accordingly. It’s also a good idea to check weather forecasts and travel advisories before planning your trip.