Bamboo rafting in Thekkady is a popular and unique eco-tourism activity offered in the Periyar Tiger Reserve, located in the town of Thekkady in Kerala, India. This activity provides visitors with an opportunity to explore the picturesque Periyar Lake and its surroundings while floating on specially designed bamboo rafts. Here’s what you need to know about bamboo rafting in Thekkady:
- Experience: Bamboo rafting is a serene and tranquil experience that allows you to glide across the waters of Periyar Lake, surrounded by lush greenery, mist-covered hills, and the sounds of nature.
- Scenic Beauty: Thekkady is known for its stunning natural beauty, and bamboo rafting offers a unique vantage point to appreciate the landscape, observe wildlife, and enjoy the peaceful ambiance.
- Wildlife Viewing: While on the bamboo raft, you might have the chance to spot various wildlife species that come to the water’s edge to drink or graze. Elephants, gaurs, deer, and a variety of bird species are commonly sighted.
- Guided Tours: Bamboo rafting tours are typically guided by trained and knowledgeable forest guides who provide insights into the local flora, fauna, and ecosystem. They share information about the wildlife you encounter and the importance of conservation.
- Duration and Routes: Bamboo rafting experiences can vary in duration, ranging from a few hours to a full day. There are different routes and packages available, allowing you to choose the one that best fits your preferences and schedule.
- Safety Measures: Safety measures are taken seriously during bamboo rafting. Participants are required to wear life jackets, and the rafts are operated by experienced rafters who are well-versed in navigating the lake.
- Season and Booking: Bamboo rafting is typically offered during specific months, usually during the monsoon season when the water levels are higher. It’s advisable to check with local authorities or tour operators for the current availability and booking details.
- Eco-Friendly: Bamboo rafting is an eco-friendly activity that aligns with sustainable tourism principles. It allows you to enjoy nature while minimizing your impact on the environment.
Bamboo rafting in Thekkady is a wonderful way to connect with nature, unwind, and appreciate the natural beauty of the region. Keep in mind that the availability of activities may change over time, so it’s a good idea to check with local authorities or tourism offices for the most up-to-date information and to make any necessary reservations in advance.